Cumin rice (V)
Revision as of 16:09, 24 October 2012 by Chef
Another flavoured rice dish that is very simple to make.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon of white cumin seeds
- Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Rinse the rice in a sieve under cold running water, stirring with your hands until the water runs clear.
- Drain well
- Cook the rice in lots of boiling water until the rice is soft on the outside but still has a tiny bite to it. About 11 to 12 minutes
- Remove from the heat and drain in a sieve
- Meanwhile, add the oil and onions to a large pan and sauté until they just turn brown.
- Stir in the cumin seeds.
- Once they start to pop, stir in the rice.
- Add half a cup of boiling water, cover with a lid, placing a cloth between the pan and the lid being careful not to catch it alight!
- Simmer gently for a further 5 minutes then remove from the heat and let it stand for 7 minutes so all of the water is absorbed
Serve garnished with chopped coriander leaves
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.