Comlek (Rabbit casserole with onions and wine vinegar)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- 1.85 kg rabbit cut into bite size pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 60 ml red wine vinegar
- 150 ml olive oil
- Garlic cloves, to taste, peeled but left whole
- A small piece of cinnamon stick
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 125 ml dry red wine
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped or 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 300 ml hot water or stock
- 700 g small onions, peeled but left whole
- Marinate the rabbit in the bay leaves and vinegar overnight in the fridge.
- Remove the rabbit pieces from marinade, keeping the bay leaves) pat them dry and fry them in half the olive oil until golden-brown on both sides.
- When all rabbit pieces have been fried, return them to the saucepan.
- Add garlic cloves, bay leaves, spices, rosemary and wine.
- Then add the tomato pureé or tomatoes, sugar and the hot water or stock.
- Cover and cook for about 1 hour.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onions.
- Stir them occasionally, in order to make sure they turn golden all over (about 15 minutes).
- Add the contents of the frying pan to the saucepan, and mix so that the onions spread evenly.
- Finally, cover and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#rabbit #bayleaves #onions #oliveoil #tomato #tomatoes #fry #stock #garlic #rosemary #fridge