Taste the coconut to check that it has not gone rancid before you start. It is a more common problem than you might think.
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F - gas 3)
- Drain the coconut of juice by piercing one of the eyes or breaking it over a sink
- Break the coconut into two halves.
- With a broad-bladed knife, carefully prise big lumps of the flesh away from the shell
- If you wish you can peel the brown skin away with a potato peeler
- Using a mandoline, food processor or exceptional knife skills, slice into wafer-thin shavings
- If freezing the coconut chips, freeze at this point. They can be cooked from frozen but may take a little longer
- Spread these evenly on one or two baking sheets, sprinkle with a little salt and bake for 30 minutes until crisp
- Allow to cool then serve
Use lightly flavoured salt for a spicy version
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.