Cheesy chick peas
- 225 g (8 oz) dried chick peas or 2 x 400g cans of tinned chick peas
- 25 g (1 oz) butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 225 g (8 oz) raw spinach leaves, chopped
- 450 g (1 lb) fresh tomatoes, chopped into 8 pieces each
- 1 teaspoon Unsmoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 100 g (4 oz) mature cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- add the presoaked chick peas to a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil - skim any scum from the surface
- Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender to the pinch
- Drain, reserving 200 ml (1/2 pint) of the cooking water for later.
- Remove about half of the chick peas, add to a food processor with a metal blade and blend to a puree, using as much of the reserved cooking liquor as needed to make a smooth paste.
- Meanwhile heat the butter or olive oil in a large pan and gently sauté the onions for 8 minutes until transparent.
- Add the cumin powder and the remaining whole chick peas and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped spinach, pureed chick peas, herbs and spices and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- My mum.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.