Boiled bacon recipe
This is how boiled bacon would have been made in Mrs Beeton's day. As with most of her recipes, there is a good deal of common sense and it is still relevant today.
- As bacon is frequently excessively salty ,let it be soaked in warm water for an hour or two previous to dressing it up.
- Then pare off the rusty parts and scrape the underside and rind as clean as possible.
- Put it into a saucepan of cold water, let it come gradually to a boil and as the scum rises to the surface of the water, remove it.
- Let it simmer very gently until it is thoroughly done.
- Remove and drain, remove the skin and sprinkle with a few raspings and garnish with tufts of cauliflower or brussels sprouts.
- When served alone, young and tender broad beans or green peas are the usual accompaniments.
Time: 1 lb of bacon, 45 minutes; 2 lbs, 1-1½ hour.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.