Beef bourguignon (slow cooker recipe)
Beef bourguignon is a well-known, traditional French beef stew recipe. It is essentially a stew prepared with beef braised in a full bodied red wine and beef stock, generally flavoured with garlic, onions, carrots, and a bouquet garni, and garnished with pearl onions and mushrooms.
This version is especially for a slow cooker and can be prepared with no pre-cooking and will cook in 8 hours (or more) so can be left cooking all day, while you are out at work.
- 450 g Stewing steak, trimmed of excess fat and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 3 large carrots, sliced in half length-wise.
- 1 bottle of robust red wine such as Bulls blood.
- 225 ml beef stock made with 1 oxo cube
- Bouquet garni (I used a variation on version 4)
- half a lime (unsqueezed)
- 8 banana shallots, peeled and cut in half
- 150g of button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 carrots, scrubbed and sliced
- 2 sticks of celery cut into moons
- 110 g (4 oz) home smoked bacon or good quality smoked bacon
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- Good pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 6 small tomatoes cut in half
- Season the flour with salt and pepper
- Roll the meat cubes in the flour to coat well - this will help to thicken the stew.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker
- Stir well
- Cook on low for 8 hours or more. As an experiment, I left the stew as photographed for 10 hours (on low).
If you have time beforehand, you can brown the whole shallots and the cubes of beef in a separate pan, before slow cooking. It adds a little colour and some extra flavour. However, when testing this recipe, everything was tipped into the slow cooker, no pre-frying and the results were perfectly acceptable.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#carrots #redwine #beef #onions #bouquetgarni #slowcooker #mashedpotatoes #boeufbourguignon #celery #unusualrecipes #blackpepper