Baked hake with crispy cashew and sweetcorn coating
My favourite savoury nibbles are a mix of spicy cashew nuts and roasted sweet corn kernels. I just love the flavour the combination and the nice crunch they have - so I thought I should try and use this mixture to make a crisp coating for fresh fish. Rather than deep fry or even pan fry them, I thought I would bake them.
This worked really well and would be equally good on meaty steaks too.
- About half a cup of mixed cashew nuts and roasted sweet corn kernels
- I used Natco Spicy cashew nuts & Natco roasted salted toasted corn - both available from Morrisons (UK)
- A tablespoon of masa harina to loosen the mixture when grinding (plain flour would be fine)
- 2 medium sized hake fillet steaks
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons plain flour for dredging
- Preheat your oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Add the cashew nuts and sweet corn kernels to a food processor with a metal blade
- Grind the mixture to a coarse powder
- You may find the mixture starts to clump together after a while - I guess this is because of the oil released from the sweet corn kernels
- If this does occur, just add a tablespoons of masa harina (or plain flour) and blitz the mixture for a few seconds to separate the crumbs again
- Prepare your 'coating station' by beating the eggs and adding to a bowl
- Pop the flour in saucer large enough to accommodate the fillets and finally the ground nut mixture in another saucer
- Dredge the fish fillets in the flour, dip in the beaten egg to coat and then press into the nut mixture ensuring the fish is well coated.
- Carefully arrange the coated fish on a grill tray and bake for 15 minutes or until the coating turns golden
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#fish #sweetcorn #bakedhakewithcrispycashewandsweetcorncoating #cashewnuts #plainflour #roasted #deepfry #masaharina #bake #eggs #chips