Annabelle's creamy chicken and tomato stew
5/5 Thanks Annabelle. x The Judge
Another recipe from Auntie Annabelle!
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts (or similar cuts of chicken for two people)
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 fat garlic cloves,peeled and crushed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 400g can of plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon jaggery or sugar
- 1 small pot of creme fraiche
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of dried tarragon
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5), [fan oven 170° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Fry the onions and garlic for 5 minutes in half of the oil over a gentle heat until soft and translucent, don't brown them.
- Add the tomatoes and jaggery or sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the creme fraiche and the herbs and set to one side.
- In a clean pan stir-fry the chicken until the surface is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking dish or casserole, pour over the sauce, cover and bake for 35 minutes.
Making this for 4 people I doubled the quantities and also added a few handfuls of freshly chopped tomatoes as we had loads spare. At the time this seemed rather unnecessary, however I would do it again. The texture of fresh tomatoes with the zing and flavour of different fresh tomatoes made this rather special.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#annabellescreamychickenandtomatostew #chicken #cremefraiche #jaggery #garlic #herbs #sesameseeds #tomato #simmer #tarragon #chives