Spicy carrot and chickpea tagine
If you are making this for 2 people, just reduce the amount of carrots and chickpeas, keeping the remaining ingredients about the same.
Cooking time calculator
Prompted by the popularity of our meat time cooking calculator, We thought that a simplified version of this would be useful on all of our recipes. It will give you a rough idea of when the recipe will be completed. By default it uses the current time as the recipe start time or you can select a completion time and it will show you when you should begin the recipe. Try it now!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 to 6 Cloves of garlic or to taste
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon (white) cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon runny honey (normal honey heated in a microwave for 10 seconds will be runny honey)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 2 x 400g cans of chick-peas, well rinsed and drained
- Heat the oil in a tagine or pan
- Gently sauté the onion and garlic for 6 minutes or until soft and translucent
- Add the cumin seeds, turmeric, cinnamon, honey, black pepper and the carrots
- Add enough water to almost cover the carrots - not too much, you don't want soup!
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add the chickpeas and a little more water if the pan is drying out and heat for a further 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Lamb tagine
- Chicken tagine
- Chicken tagine with chermoula
- Summer beef tagine
- Tajine bil hoot (Fish Tagine)
- Lamb and onion saffron tagine
- Spicy carrot and chickpea tagine
- Vegetable tagine with apricots and almonds
- Tajine zrodiya (Carrot and lamb tagine)
- Tajine karnoune bil limoun (Artichoke and lemon tagine)
- Pumpkin and green bean tagine
- Lamb tagine with tomatoes and peas