Sopa de ajo prisionera ('Imprisoned' garlic soup)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 Cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 7 slices of stale bread, although fresh can be used
- 1 level tablespoon paprika
- 1 litre chicken stock (made from an onion, a carrot, and a chicken carcass)
- 100 g small cubes of ham (shoulder of Iberian ham, preferably)
- Salt to taste
- 2 free range eggs
- A little beaten egg
- 500g puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/Gas 6
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic and allow it to turn golden.
- Add the ham cubes and sauté them with the garlic.
- Add the slices of bread to allow them to colour a little.
- Add the paprika, and immediately afterwards the chicken stock, so that the paprika does not become bitter.
- Allow the soup to simmer over a gentle heat for half-an-hour.
- Check for seasoning and add salt if necessary.
- Take some heat-resistant earthenware soup bowls and pour the soup into them.
- Break an egg into each bowl.
- Brush the rims and the outside tops of the bowls with a little beaten egg.
- Cut circles of puff pastry, about a centimetre or so larger than the top of the bowls, seal around the rim and brush with beaten egg.
- You can decorate the pastry if you wish.
- Put the bowls into the oven for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is golden and has formed a dome over the soup.
- By this time, the eggs should be firm, but with a runny yolk.
The most delicious way to eat this is to break the pastry into the soup or cut small pieces away as you eat the soup. If you do not like pastry, just cut the whole thing off, but you will lose the best of the dish.
And enjoy it ... who said that a garlic soup dish cannot be a luxury?
I adapted the recipe slightly by using 4 whole bulbs of garlic, no ham, beaten egg instead of a whole one and using Pimentón de la Vera which accounts for the brightness of the colour. And before anyone asks, yes, I did eat the whole lot myself!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#egg #garlic #ham #soup #chickenstock #paprika #puffpastry #garlicsoup #brush #bread #broth