Whole roasted chicken stuffed with black garlic with a sherry and black garlic gravy
Just as good as with normal garlic
(in case you cannot get hold of black garlic) - Klapaucius
Whole roasted chicken stuffed with black garlic with a sherry and black garlic gravy is a way of cooking a chicken using lots of black garlic.
- One medium chicken, parson's nose removed
- 75g butter
- 6 peeled black garlic cloves
- 1 whole bulb of black garlic (unpeeled)
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pack of pancetta slices - enough to cover the breasts and legs of the chicken
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 2 bay leaves
For the gravy
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 325 ml Chicken stock
- 100 ml Sherry
- 1 tablespoon of crème fraiche (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6.
- Place the chicken in a roasting dish.
- Cut the lemon in half, stuff into the cavity of the bird along with 3 sprigs of thyme, 2 bay leaves and a whole bulb of black garlic (unpeeled).
- Place the butter, peeled black garlic and the leaves from 5 sprigs of thyme into a bowl.
- Season, then mix together to form a black garlic butter.
- Loosen the skin around the neck of the bird and then around the chicken breasts.
- Using your hands, spread the black garlic butter all over the breasts.
- Pull the skin back over the chicken.
- Season the chicken really well with salt and black pepper.
- Lay the pancetta all over the chicken, paying particular attention to the legs and the breast.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil to keep the chicken moist.
- Place the chicken into the oven.
- After 30 minutes remove the pancetta and baste the bird with the buttery juices that are in the pan.
- Return the chicken to the oven and cook for a further 30 - 40 minutes.
- Baste the bird every so often.
- The chicken is done when the juices run clear. To check this, insert a skewer into the leg area.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and place onto a carving tray.
- Take out the bulb of black garlic and extract the individual cloves.
- Remove the meat juices from the roasting pan and transfer to a small saucepan.
- Melt in 25g butter and stir together.
- Put in the extracted black garlic cloves.
- Stir in 25g of plain flour.
- Gradually add 100 ml of sherry.
- Then gradually add 325 ml of chicken stock.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and season to taste.
- Optional - add a squeeze of the cooked lemon and 1 tablespoon of crème fraiche and the mustard.
- Carve the chicken onto warmed plates. Spoon over the gravy
- A comprehensive guide to roast meat cooking times - give the time you want to carve your roast and we'll give you a timed step by step roasting guide
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of Black Garlic and is by Angie Redgate
#chicken #blackgarlic #butter #thyme #pancetta #lemon #gravy #baste #garlic #plainflour #blackpepper