Onion and black garlic soup
Works with normal garlic
4/5 Having a bit of a game getting black garlic during the CV19 lockdown, so made with normal garlic.
Yummy. Jerry, aka Chef (talk)
A tasty garlic soup made with black garlic.
- 50g butter
- 900g onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 200 ml cider
- 3 cloves of black garlic - finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pan.
- Add the finely sliced onions.
- Add the sugar and the leaves from 3 sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Cook uncovered over a low heat, stirring every so often. This can take up to 40 minutes, until the onions are soft and caramel in colour.
- Add the finely sliced black garlic and stir in.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the cider into the pan and simmer until reduced by half.
- Stir in the stock and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes until the onions are soft and tender.
- Season to taste.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of Black Garlic and is by Angie Redgate
#onions #onionandblackgarlicsoup #worcestershiresauce #cider #butter #blackpepper #blackgarlic #thyme #gruyerecheese #croutons #simmer