Butternut, black garlic and sweet potato soup with sage and onion croutes
Another way of cooking squash, this one with black garlic.
For the soup
- 500g butternut squash cut into wedges (skin on seeds removed
- 500g sweet potatoes - chopped
- 1.5 Litres vegetable stock
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of peeled black garlic - sliced
- 125 ml cider or white wine
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and black pepper.
For the croutes
- 1 small baguette
- 1 clove of peeled black garlic
- Half an onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Half a sweet apple grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 50g grated cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 180C 350F Gas Mark 4
- Place the butternut squash wedges in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the butternut is soft and slightly caramelised.
- Meanwhile, put the vegetable stock into a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the sweet potatoes and 1 teaspoon of dried sage.
- Simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Fry the onion and the sliced black garlic very gently in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until the onions are soft but not coloured.
- Scoop the flesh from the butternut skin and place the flesh into the frying pan. Mix together.
- Add the cider or wine and quickly bring to the boil then reduce the cider or wine by half.
- Add the butternut and onion mixture to the large pan and stir together.
- Liquidise the soup.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper
- Gently heat the soup.
To make the croutes
- Slice the baguette into 1 cm slices.
- Toast gently on one side until slightly brown.
- Rub over a little black garlic.
- Remove from the grill and put to one side.
- Fry the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add 1 teaspoon of dried sage, the grated apple and the grated cheese. Mix together.
- Place on top of the un-toasted side of the baguette.
- Return to the grill until bubbly and golden brown.
- Ladle the soup into the soup dishes.
- Place one croute on top of each bowl of soup.
- Serve immediately with the rest of the croutes on the side.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of Black Garlic and is by Angie Redgate