Black garlic and tomato sauce (V)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 carrot very finely diced
- 1 onion very finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery very finely chopped
- 1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves of peeled black garlic
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1-2 teaspoons of caster sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper
- Pour the olive oil into a large pan. Heat until hot.
- Add the carrot, onion and celery and sweat until soft but not coloured.
- Crush the black garlic cloves and add to the vegetables.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the tomato puree and oregano. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour on a very low heat. If the sauce is too thick add a little hot vegetable stock.
- Check for seasoning and then add sugar to taste.
- For a pizza topping or to add to other dishes, blend until smooth.
The following are just a few ideas of how to turn this sauce into a pasta meal. - Add sliced black olives and a handful of fresh basil. Heat the sauce and serve with pasta. - Fry a small aubergine in extra virgin olive oil and add to the tomato sauce. Stir in some fresh oregano. Heat the sauce and serve with spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. - Chop up a roasted red pepper (from a jar). - Grate a courgette and add to the tomato sauce. Heat through until the courgette is cooked. Sprinkle over some dry fried pine nuts. - Heat up the tomato sauce. Add a handful of fresh cherry tomatoes (halved) 3 sun-dried tomatoes (chopped).
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of Black Garlic and is by Angie Redgate