Salsa de chile a la Jalapa
Revision as of 13:40, 14 November 2009 by JuliaBalbilla
This article is in need of a suitable photograph. If you can provide one, please login and click '300px' to upload.
Salsa de chile a la Jalapa - about this recipe
This cold, spicy sauce comes from the city of Jalapa (Xalapa) in the state of Veracuz in Mexico.
Makes about 500 ml
- 1.2 kg tomatoes, skins removed (leave seeds in)
- 5 or more cloves garlic, chopped
- 220 g red jalapeño chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the tomatoes, garlic and chillies in a saucepan and allow to simmer gently, stirring from time to time.
- Once the sauce starts to thicken, add the sugar and salt.
- Stir regularly, uncovered, until it slightly caramelises.
- Allow to cool and blend to your desired consistency.
It needs to be thickish and make sure you do not let it burn.