Preserved lemon hummus
Revision as of 18:55, 29 May 2012 by Chef
Preserved lemon hummus - about this recipe
This variation on the standard hummus recipe is the best I have ever tasted, so I have added it separately so it can be easliy replicated.
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) dried chickpeas
- 1 preserved lemon, flesh removed, roughly chopped
- 3 ladles of preserved lemon juice
- 1 bulb of garlic, peeled
- 600 ml (1 pint) olive oil
- Drain and rinse the soaked chickpeas.
- Add to a large pan, cover with water - do not add any salt, otherwise the peas will not absorb the water properly. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour or until softened. They may take a little longer depending on size and age.
- Drain, rinse and allow to cool a little
- Add to a food processor with everything but the olive oil. Blend to a paste, then as if making mayonnaise, gradually drizzle in the olive oil with the motor running.
- Adjust the consistency by adding a little cold water if too thick.