Potato, cheese and garlic bake
Revision as of 17:35, 15 June 2012 by Chef
Potato, cheese and garlic bake - about this recipe
This recipe has been adapted from Mrs Maureen Kirkland's recipe for Cheese Pie which appears in The Hairy Bikers' book, Mum's Know Best (ISBN 0297860267). My version is rather more powerful and rustic.
- 4 bulbs roasted garlic, squeezed
- 500 g potatoes, peeled
- Large knob of butter
- Splash of milk
- White pepper, freshly ground
- 180 g Cornish Quartz cheese
- 180 g Parmesan cheese
- 70 g fresh rye breadcrumbs
- Fried, sliced Indian green chillies, to taste (optional)
- Boil the potatoes until they are cooked.
- Drain thoroughly and put through a ricer with the butter and milk.
- Add the pepper, garlic and chillies (if using) and mix well.
- Add 60 g each of the two cheeses and mix again.
- Layer the bottom of the baking dish with half of the potato mixture.
- Sprinkle a further 60 g each of the two cheeses over the top.
- Season again and spread the rest of the potato mixture over the top.
- Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle them onto the potato mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the cheese has crispened.