Piperki palneni postni (Vegetable stuffed peppers)
Revision as of 11:02, 7 November 2010 by Chef
This article is in need of a suitable photograph. If you can provide one, please login and click '300px' to upload.
Piperki palneni postni (Vegetable stuffed peppers) - about this recipe
Makes 8 stuffed peppers
- 150 ml oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, scraped and finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and finely chopped
- Garlic to taste, crushed
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 125 g feta or haloumi, crumbled or grated
- 8 medium-large peppers, top sliced off and seeds and veins removed (reserve the top)
- 150 ml water or vegetable stock
For the sauce
- 150 ml yoghurt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ teaspoons black pepper
- ½ teaspoons paprika (Hungarian)
- Heat the oil in a large pan to a medium heat and add the onion, carrots, celery, potato and garlic.
- Sauté, stirring often, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the seasonings, and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Stir in the parsley and cheese, cook for a further 5 minutes and then remove from heat, setting aside for 10 minutes to cool a little.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4).
- Meanwhile, spoon the mixture into the peppers and replace the tops.
- Put the peppers into a large casserole dish, standing upright and pour in the water.
- Cover the dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the peppers are cooking, make the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a bowl.
- When the 30 minutes cooking time is up, pour the sauce over the peppers.
- Carry on cooking until the sauce has thickened and turned golden.
- Serve immediately.