Orange biter (hot chili sauce)
Orange biter (chili sauce) - about this recipe
Another one of my chili sauce creations!
It made more sense to measure the chillies by volume rather than weight. The chili flakes I have are slightly oily and would be heavier than truly dried chillier.
I'm still creating and testing it and am using Cookipedia to keep a record of the changes.
Wear rubber gloves and work in a well ventilated kitchen when handling this amount of chillies.
Makes about 4 pints
- 250 ml malt vinegar
- 350 ml Red wine vinegar
- 250 ml juice from preserved lemons (basically very salty lemon juice)
- 200 ml water
- 100 g jaggery
- 2 pint (by volume) of Turkish chilli flakes
- 2 oranges
- Add everything but the oranges to a large pot and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often
- Meanwhile, halve the oranges and extract the juice
- Stir the chilli mix to ensure the jaggery has dissolved
- Mix in the orange juice and add the orange skins, they will be removed and discarded later
- Simmer the mixture for another 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and leave for 4 hours
- Remove the and discard the orange skins, being careful not to waste too much sauce
- Add the mixture to a fodd processor with a sharp bland and reduce to a puree
- Decant into sterilised jars and store in a dark place for 3 months
I'll let you know what it's like in 3 months time!