Mexican potato cakes (V)
Revision as of 10:59, 7 November 2010 by Chef
Mexican potato cakes - about this recipe
When these pancakes are made large they are good as a main course, topped with grilled cheese, guacamole, grilled vegetables and sour cream, refried beans, ceviche, etc. Make lots of small ones as finger food or starters.
Makes 6 big pancakes
- 4 medium potatoes
- 160g masa harina
- 1 small onion, peeled and grated
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 200g Cheddar cheese
- Pinch of chilli powder
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor with a dough hook or a plastic blade and knead into a fairly firm dough, add a little water or more masa harina to adjust the consistency
- Rest for 30 minutes then roll out into 1 cm thick pancakes
- Shallow fry in oil until golden brown and crispy, turning now and again.