La pipirrana de Marín (V)
La pipirrana de Marín - about this recipe
Pipirrana is a popular Spanish dish and this version has been translated and adapted from Verycocinar. If you go to this link, you will see a video of Marín preparing it. It is in Spanish, but you will get the general idea.
Para ver la versión original y un video (en castellano) pulse aquí.
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced (keep the juice)
- ½ red pepper, finely diced
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 cucumber, finely diced
- 1 giant spring onion, finely diced - see Variations below.
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 3 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- Mix the first 5 ingredients in a bowl, including the juice from the tomatoes.
- Finely chop the egg whites, reserving the yolks.
- Add the egg whites to the vegetables.
- Using a blender or pestle and mortar, combine the egg yolks, garlic, olive oil, vinegar and salt to make a vinaigrette. (Use about 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil).
- Add to the vegetables and allow to chill in the fridge.
Serve with toast
'Cebollas tiernas' are giant spring onions, which are rarely seen in the UK, although they are widely available in Spain. I would suggest that you use, perhaps, two or three of the largest you can find.