Difference between revisions of "Heston Blumenthal's perfect cauliflower cheese (TM)"
m (Text replace - "|Difficulty = 3" to "|Difficulty = 2")
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
|Servings = Serves 4
|Servings = Serves 4
Revision as of 18:51, 29 May 2012
Heston Blumenthal's perfect cauliflower cheese (TM) - about this recipe
I love cauliflower cheese and this one is probably the best I have ever made.
- 50g white caster sugar
- 100g white wine vinegar
- 2 small cauliflowers, broken into florets and divided into three
- Groundnut oil
- 500g vegetable stock
- 300g water
- 1 bulb garlic, peeled
- 300g white wine, reduced to 30ml (10-15 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1)
- 120g Gruyère cheese, grated
- 20g cornflour
- 30g cream cheese
- Knob of butter
- Extra grated Gruyère or Cheddar for the topping
Add the sugar and vinegar to the bowl and set the TM to 100°. Once it has reched this temperature, pour the mixture over one-third of the cauliflower. Allow to cool somewhat and leave in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, grate the cheese for cooking and topping separately in the TM and coat the cooking cheese in the cornflour (I used Gruyere for cooking and a mixture of that and mature Cheddar for the topping) and set aside.
- Put one-third of the cauliflower into the internal steaming basket with the vegetable stock and water 16 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1.
- Meanwhile, deep fry the remaining third of the cauliflower at 180º C until golden brown.
- Drain the cauliflower on kitchen paper and deep fry the garlic until golden brown, but make sure it doesn't burn.
- Remove the steamed cauliflower (keep the liquid), mix with the others and place in a baking dish or casserole.
- Reduce the stock / water mix to 200ml 18 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1 and leave in the bowl.
- Pre-heat the grill to high.
- Add the wine, cornfloured cheese, butter and the fried garlic to the TM bowl with the butter 5 minutes/ 90º / Speed 4.
- Add the cream cheese and cook at the same setting for a further 1 minute.
- Process 15 seconds / Speed 5-10 progressively, so that the garlic is well pulverised.
- Mix the sauce with the cauliflower, sprinkle over the grated chase and grill for several minutes.
- Lightly adapted and converted for Thermomix from a Heston Blumenthal recipe