Znojemska pecene (Znojmo Beef )
This article is in need of a suitable photograph. If you can provide one, please login and click '300px' to upload.
- 1kg skirt steak, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 75g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lean bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 2 gherkins, coarsely chopped
- 250ml beef stock
- 1 further tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 125ml sour cream
- Using a meat mallet, pound each of the beef pieces until thin.
- Place one half on top of the other and trim into a rectangle.
- Cut the trimmings into small pieces.
- Heat half of the butter in a frying pan and add the beef trimmings, mushrooms and bacon and fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the paprika.
- Season the beef with the salt and pepper.
- Sandwich the contents of the frying pan and the parsley and gherkins between the two pieces of beef.
- Roll up the meat like a Swiss roll and tie up with string.
- In a large frying pan, heat the remaining butter and add the rolled beef.
- Fry over a high heat until brown.
- Remove the beef from the pan and remove the string.
- Cut the beef into thick slices.
- Mix the softened butter with the flour and mix with the liquid in the pan.
- Add the hot stock, bring to the boil and simmer, covered for 2 hours.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the sour cream and bring to simmering point.
- Place the meat on a serving plate.
- Pour a little sauce over it and serve the rest in a gravy boat.