Wiener Tafelspitz (Boiled beef)
- 450 g beef bones
- 2 litres water
- 900 g - 1.2 kg beef topside or silverside, tied
- 1 large leek, cut in half
- 1 large carrot, scraped and cut in half
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 10 black peppercorns
- Cover the bones in a large pan with the water to which a little salt has been added.
- Slowly bring to the boil, skimming the scum from the surface.
- Add the beef and the rest of the ingredients and slowly bring to the boil again.
- Reduce the heat so that the lquid is just about simmering.
- Partially cover and cook for 2½ to 3 hours, until the beef is very tender.
- Remove the beef from the pan, allow to rest slightly and when cool enough to handle cut into thick slices and serve on a warm dish.
The secret to this dish is to allow the beef to cook very slowly. Do not be tempted to rush it.