Wheat flour tortilla recipe
The are cheap to buy, but not expensive and much nicer when home-made.
- Rub the flour, salt and shortening together unti it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Little by little add the water and mix to a dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave for 20 minutes.
- Divide into golf-ball sized balls or slightly larger.
- Roll out on a floured worktop.
- Cook for about a minute on a hot tava or griddle pan until they puff up.
If you don't have a tortilla press, use 2 chopping boards or just two sheets of wood as a substitute. Place ball of dough between two non-stick surfaces such as small squares of Bake-O-Glide and stand on them!
See the Tortilla Press page for UK suppliers.