- 40 ml olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flat leaved parsley, finely chopped
- 1 kg firm, ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 40 g breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- Extra flat leaved parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7)
- Grease a large baking dish with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil.
- Sprinkle the parsley evenly over the base of the dish.
- Arrange the tomato slices over the parsley so that they overlap slightly.
- Sprinkle then with salt (to taste), and the sugar.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, remaining oil and the chilli powder, and sprinkle over the tomatoes.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, covering with foil part way through if browning too much.
- When cooked, garnish with chopped parsley.