Talk:Schweinekotelett auf Sauerkraut
I have made changes to this recipe, on the main recipe page, which possibly suits less Germanic tastes.
The original authentic recipe for Schweinekotelett auf Sauerkraut is below.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 750 g sauerkraut
- 125 ml beef stock
- 125 ml red wine
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
- Pinch ground white pepper
- 4 pork chops
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt half the butter in a casserole dish suited to take direct heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until golden.
- Add the sauerkraut and the stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the wine, green pepper, bay leaves, paprika and white pepper and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in a frying pan.
- Sprinkle the pork chops with a little salt and black pepper and sauté them over a medium heat for about 15 minutes on each side and golden brown, ensuring that they are properly cooked.
- Arrange the chops on top of the sauerkraut and serve.
If you do not have a casserole that will take direct heat, use a saucepan and when ready to serve transfer the contents to a pre-heated casserole dish. I have found that the glass Pyrex casserole dishes can take direct heat, but you must heat them gently. I heated one too quickly a few years ago and it shattered, resulting in its contents making a lovely mess all over the hob and the floor.