Tajine karnoune bil limoun (Artichoke and lemon tagine)
This tagine recipe is from Algeria.
- 90 ml oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- Garlic to taste, crushed
- 900 g shoulder of lamb, cut into 5 cm cubes
- Zest of 1 preserved lemon, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 x 5 cm cinnamon stick
- 12 globe artichoke hearts, cut in half
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the lamb and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes until the lamb is brown on all sides.
- Add the lemon zest, salt, pepper, cinnamon stick and enough hot water to cover by about 5 cm.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the artichokes and cover and simmer for a further 30-40 until the lamb is cooked.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and spoon the tagine into a serving dish.
Artichokes are not available all year round in the UK and they tend to be expensive. For this recipe, which requires 12 hearts, I would use the pre-prepared preserved ones that are readily available, as they save time, money and hassle.