Rather than buying packets of Mexican spice mix from that well known company, make your own. It's easy, allows you to tailor it to your taste. The recipe is easy to adjust to make different quantities.
The Main ingredients that give that authentic flavour are the oregano, cumin seeds and chili powder. I would suggest you keep those at the levels here and adjust the other items if you have a desire to tinker.
Everything is in teaspoons to make it easy to make different quantities - use tablespoons at the same rate to make more.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder or chili flakes or crushed dried chillies
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano or oregano leaves
- 3 teaspoons dried garlic granules or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 teaspoons white cumin seeds
- 5 teaspoons onion powder or dried onion flakes
- Grind all the ingredients to powder in a coffee grinder
- Mix together well if you had to do this in batches
Store in an airtight container out of the light.
35 g of this spice mix is sufficient to season; chicken, pork, beef for four people. Rub the mix on the meat, coat well with a tablespoon of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice and marinate for 2 hours.