Szeged gulyás of fowl (HC)
Chicken goulash from Szeged, a city in south-east Hungary, close the borders of Serbia and Romania.
You can discover more about Hungarian recipes and specialist suppliers here.
- 3 chickens, parson's nose removed
- 4 onions
- 3 oz [85 g] lard
- 2 lbs [900 g] potatoes
- 3 carrots
- Salt, paprika, caraway seed
- tomatoes or tomato purée
- Mince the onions and fry them a golden-brown in the lard.
- Add paprika, a little water, a few crushed caraway seeds, the chickens, each divided into 8 parts, and let the whole stew slowly.
- When the meat is half-done add the diced potatoes, the sliced carrots and tomatoes or tomato purée.
- Stew the whole, adding a little water now and then.
- The sliced carrots may be boiled in a separate saucepan and their liquor used instead of water.
- Before serving boil some csipetke in the gravy.
You might prefer to use chicken stock instead of water.