Sweet and sour sauce with black vinegar
This is a very subtle sweet and sour sauce that would suit most vegetables. As the recipe stands, the quantity made is fairly small, but could easily be increased by adding a little more water. Check and taste for seasoning if you alter the quantities.
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 4 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
- * Use balsamic vinegar if you don't have Chinese black vinegar.
- 50 g (2 oz) brown sugar or jaggery
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- Squeeze of lemon juice.
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 level teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Mix the cornflour with a tablespoons of cold water and set aside.
- Heat the oil and stir-fry the ginger and garlic for a minute or until the garlic starts to colour.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, wine or sherry, soy sauce, lemon juice and salt and heat for a few minutes.
- Add the cornflour mix, heat, stirring all the while, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over vegetables or as a dip.