Spicy carrot and chickpea tagine
If you are making this for 2 people, just reduce the amount of carrots and chickpeas, keeping the remaining ingredients about the same.Any bean or pulse would work well in this recipe. We used soya beans because someone picked up the wrong cans. It was just as good as normal!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 to 6 Cloves of garlic or to taste
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon (white) cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon runny honey (normal honey heated in a microwave for 10 seconds will be runny honey)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 2 x 400g cans of chick-peas, well rinsed and drained
- Heat the oil in a tagine or pan
- Gently sauté the onion and garlic for 6 minutes or until soft and translucent
- Add the cumin seeds, turmeric, cinnamon, honey, black pepper and the carrots
- Add enough water to almost cover the carrots - not too much, you don't want soup!
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add the chickpeas and a little more water if the pan is drying out and heat for a further 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked to your liking.