- 600g white, floury potatoes, peeled and diced
- 600g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons semi-skimmed milk
- 400g extra lean lamb mince, beef mince or turkey mince
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed or chopped
- 2 teaspoon tomato purée
- 450g canned chopped tomatoes
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 slug of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano,
- I tablespoon mango chutney (optional)
- Boil the potatoes and sweet potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes, then mash with the milk using an electric whisk until smooth.
- Season with pepper.
- In a large pan over a medium heat, dry fry the minced meat until browned.
- Drain off any excess fat, then add the onion, celery and garlic and fry for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the canned tomatoes, vegetable stock, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and mango chutney (optional).
- Bring to the boil, stirring until thickened.
- Reduce the heat, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the meat in an ovenproof dish.
- Spoon the mashed potato mixture over the top and texture the top with a fork.
- Either grill (broil) until lightly browned, or pop into a preheated oven at 200c / 400F / gas mark 6 for 20 minutes.
(Recipe by Sally Bee)
This recipe originated from the recipe section of Albert Bartlett