Savoury chicken liver
Chicken livers with rice and mushrooms - a complete meal that can be prepared and cooked in 25 minutes.
- 8oz long grain rice
- 1 large onion
- 1lb chicken livers
- 1oz butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of sherry
- 4 oz button mushrooms
- 4 oz frozen peas
- salt & pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the packet. Drain in a colander and rinse with boiling water to separate the grains.
- While the rice is boiling peel and finely chop the onion and slice the mushrooms (reserving a few for decoration). Cut the chicken livers into bite size pieces
- Melt the butter and the oil and gently fry the onions until soft and translucent, reserve.
- Turn the heat up and sizzle the chicken livers for 4 minutes to colour them
- Add the sherry, mixed herbs and sliced mushrooms and cook gently, stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook the frozen peas according to the packet
- Return the rice and peas to the saucepan and reheat, gently stirring in the chicken liver mixture. Add the reserved mushrooms
- Serve on a hot dish and decorate with parsleyand remaining mushrooms