Sauerkraut mit kartoffeln (V)
- Lard or oil
- 500 g saukerkraut
- 500 g potatoes, peeled, boiled and thickly sliced
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 560 ml sour cream or yoghurt
- 30 g breadcrumbs
- 60 g hard cheese, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4).
- Heat some fat or oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the sauerkraut and apples and fry gently for a short while.
- In a casserole dish, arrange a layer of half the potatoes, cover with the sauerkraut mixture and then the rest of the potatoes on the top.
- Mix the cheese, cream, breadcrumbs and salt and pour over the potatoes.
- Bake until brown (about 20-30 minutes).
See here for some alternatve ideas.