Salsa de chile a la Jalapa
This cold, spicy sauce comes from the city of Jalapa (Xalapa) in the state of Veracuz in Mexico.
- 1.2 kg tomatoes, skins removed (but leave seeds in)
- 5 or more Cloves garlic, chopped
- 220 g red jalapeño chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the tomatoes, garlic and chillies in a saucepan and allow to simmer gently, stirring from time to time.
- Once the sauce starts to thicken, add the sugar and salt.
- Stir regularly, uncovered, until it caramelises slightly.
- Allow to cool and blend in a processor until it gets to your desired consistency.
It needs to end up fairly thickish.
Make sure you do not let it burn.