Roasted sweet peppers
(Redirected from Roasted pepper)
This is what I have always done when roasted bell pepper is called for, there are probably lots of other ways but it works very well for me.It's a quick and easy way to skin a pepper, it leaves it slightly softened and with a smokey flavour.
- Gas: Turn your hottest ring on and lay 1 to 4 peppers directly onto the gas ring, leaving to burn for 30 seconds then turning (it's easier if you leave the stem on)
- Use tongs so you don't burn your fingers.
- Electric: Grease or line with Bake-O-Glide a shallow baking tray. Heat the oven to 230°C (450°F) and roast for about 10 minutes on 3 sides. However, as my oven is 8 years old and becoming more tempermental, you may find that you will need fewer or more minutes each side so keep an eye on them. Then, you just proceed from point 5 below.
- Barbecue Use a hotplate or griddle pan to achieve the same effect
- Once nicely burnt, remove from the heat and place in a sealable plastic container and close the lid (a clean, knotted plastic bag works just as well)
- Leave for 10 minutes
- Place on a flat surface, remove the seeds and rub the skin off
- Don't worry if you leave the the odd bit of burnt skin on - it gives it character and colour.
- You can also do this on a barbecue
Wear latex gloves if you are doing this with chili peppers.