Red onion khichdi
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 bulb garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh green chilli, finely chopped (leave seeds in)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 150g basmati rice
- 600ml warm vegetable stock
- 45ml Greek-style yoghurt
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- Heat the oil and half of the butter in a largish saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and when they begin to spit, add the garlic, chilli and onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric and rica and sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Add the yoghurt and salt and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Sir in the remaining butter and the coriander.
This is just a basic recipe. Feel free to add cooked vegetables of your choice.