Red lentil curry
This could be served on your your Gent night as a vegetarian main course, or as an accompaniment to a main.
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cm ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 40g butter or ghee
- 350 g tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can chopped tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 350 g red lentils
- 900 ml vegetable stock
- Juice from ½ lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bunch of coriander leaves, chopped, discard the stems
- Add the ginger, garlic and onion to your food processor and blitz to a smooth puree.
- Heat the butter or ghee in a wok and add the puree, tomatoes and spices and stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, lemon juice, salt and pepper and lentils, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils begin to break up.
- Test seasoning and serve, garnished with chopped coriander leaves.