Raţă cu castraveţi (Duck with cucumbers)
An unusual way with duck from Romania.
I have amened the quantities for 2 people, the original recipe can be found here. Joint the duck crown to remove the breasts and trim some of the skin so it's not too fatty. I included the carcass in the procedure just to add more flavour. There is not much meat on it but it might make some picking for sandwiches later!
- 1 duck crown, or 2 duck breasts
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram or oregano
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 220 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 cucumber, peeled and grated, and left to drain in a sieve
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- Rub the seasoning and marjoram into each duck piece.
- Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan or casserole, until slightly smoking.
- Add the duck pieces and the carcass until they are lightly browned on all sides.
- Add the water, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, turning now and then until the duck pieces are tender.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions until they are soft.
- Add them and the grated cucumber to the duck about 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
Serve with Bulz ciobanesc, now there's another story!