Quick beef stroganov
- 275 g beef sirloin steak, cut into thin 5cm strips
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 15 g butter
- 4 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced. see the shallots page for how to peel them easily.
- 125 g Chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoon brandy or sherry
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 150 ml carton soured cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly chopped parsley to garnish
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together and dredge the sirloin strips in the flour.
- Heat the oil and butter in a wok and when sizzling, add the shallots.
- Cook for 3 minutes then add the mushrooms. Cook for a further 2 minutes them remove and reserve with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil behind.
- Add the beef on sauté until browned (about 3 minutes)
- Add the brandy and set alight with a match. When the flames die down, add the shallots and mushrooms back to the wok.
- Stir-fry for a few more minutes until the beef is cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the head and stir in the soured cream. Don't allow the cream to boil or it will split.