The beauty of making these yourself is that you can spice them up with your favourite ingredients. Your imagination is the only limit.
Try making up your own blend of vinegar using various vinegar types, make the tester up in very small amounts, tasting as you go, so when you have a good blend you will have the ratios to get the final amount the same as your tester.Just ensure the eggs you are using are at least 3 days old or you will not be able to peel them easily.
- 20 to 24 medium boiled eggs, shelled
- 500 ml cider vinegar
- 500 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced down from the top
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice powder
- 3 chipotle chillies
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 heaped teaspoons black treacle or molasses
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- Boil all of the ingredients except the eggs, for 10 minutes
- Allow to cool completely
- Drop the eggs into a 2.5 kg (5 lb) sterislied jar and pour in the vinegar mixture
- If you don't have enough vinegar (unlikely) then make up the difference with cold water
- Close and shake well
- Leave for a month to mature, turning often to mix
Turmeric powder is fine but it does make the vinegar cloud badly every time you move the jar and also leaves a sludge in the bottom. The same amount of turmeric root would be better if you can get hold of it.