Peanut butter ice-cream
nuts over the top when serving.
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1.5 cups double cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and beat in the sugar
- Bring the milk to a Simmer but don't boil it
- Carefully mix the hot milk into the eggs and sugar, whisk well and pour back into the pan
- Whisk constantly and heat very gently until the custard mixture thickens. (Too hot and not enough stirring and you'll have yourself a big pan of sweet scrambled eggs!) Immediately transfer back to first bowl otherwise it will carry on cooking.
- Whisk in the peanut butter, allow to cool a little then whisk in the double cream and vanilla extract
- Pour the peanut custard through a sieve into a clean bowl to remove any bits.
- Leave to cool, refrigerate and once cold, add to your ice-cream maker and follow the instructions.
Not being 'sweet of tooth', I reduced the quantity of sugar to 1/2 a cup.