Palóc leves (Mutton soup) (HC)
The Palóc were a tribe of people of Slovak origin who settled in north-eastern Hungary which where this soup originates.
You can discover more about Hungarian recipes and specialist suppliers here.
- 2 lbs [900 g] mutton
- 9 oz [250 g] onions
- 2 gills [285 ml] sour cream
- Green (French) beans
- A bay leaf
- Paprika, salt, caraway seed
- [A little flour]
- Chop and fry the onions a delicate brown, season with paprika.
- Cut the mutton in cubes, wash and put it into the saucepan with the fried onions.
- Season with a pinch of crushed caraway-seedn and a bay leaf and stew slowly.
- Cut the potatoes in cubes, the green beans in small pieces, and cook each separately in salted water.
- When the vegetables are ready pour them, with the water they were boiled in, over the stewed meat, until the soup is the consistency of gulyás [goulash].
- Thicken with the sour cream in which a little flour has been mixed.