Onion soup (TM)
A light and slightly sweet onion soup
- 130g cheese suitable for melting
- 1kg onions
- 50g extra virgin olive oil
- 1 litre chicken stock
- White pepper
- 500g water
- 6 slices toast
- Put the cheese, cut into 4, into a very dry TM bowl 10 seconds / Speed 4. (If using Parmesan, use a higher speed).
- Empty into a basin and reserve.
- Put the onions into the TM bowl 5 seconds / Speed 4 (you can also slice them into fine rings).
- Remove and reserve.
- Put the oil in the bowl 5 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1.
- Add the reserved onion 20 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Reverse Blade / Speed Spoon.
- Next, add the stock and the salt 20 minutes / 100° / Reverse Blade / Speed Spoon.
- Add the pepper, the 500g water and more salt if necessary 2 minutes / 100° / Reverse Blade / Speed Spoon.
- Pour into individual bowls.
- Place in each one a slice of toasted bread and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Place in the oven until the cheese has melted and serve immediately.
- This is a translation of a recipe in Thermomix TM31 Imprescindible para tu cocina which is the book supplied with Spanish TMXs.
I made this today with the following differences. I used 2 tbsps Bron's vegetable stock instead of chicken stock (no need to add salt). I didnt bother gratinating it in the oven as I was only making it for myself, with the remainder going in the freezer. What I did was to make some cheese on toast under the grill, trimmed it and just plonked it in the soup.