Olive, spring onion and green pepper bread
A 50/50 white/wholemeal loaf with a nice savoury flavour
- 15g fresh yeast
- 330 ml sparkling bottled water
- 250g strong wholemeal bread flour
- 250g strong white bread flour
- A large pinch each of salt and sugar
- 2 heaped tablespoons onion powder
- 8 large Cloves garlic, finely diced
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 50g black olives (stoned weight) finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- Pre-heat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7), [fan oven 200° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Dissolve the yeast in the water.
- Sieve the flours into a bowl, with the salt, sugar and onion powder.
- Add the dissolved yeast and water to the bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix throroughly.
- Mix throughly and knead according to your chosen method.
- Shape into a ball and sllow to rest, in a covered bowl, until almost doubled in size.
- Gently deflate the dough and repeat the previous step.
- Deflate the dough again and press into a rectangle, one side of which is the length of your tin.
- Fold the top and bottom parts of the dough into the middle and press the seam gently with your fingers.
- Repeat and you should have a nice log shape.
- Place in a greased 900g loaf tin, seam side down.
- Cover with clingfilm and allow to prove until the dough has almost reached the top of the tin.
- Slash the dough if desired.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until it is done.
- Turn out of the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.