New York style calzone pizza
You can fill this spicy calzone with just about anything. For this version, I have used a packet of sliced speciality cold meats, pepperoni, salami, prosciutto and home-smoked bacon. Use what you have available but don't try to over-fill the pizzas!
- 1 portion pizza dough
- 1 portion spicy tomato pizza topping (use a jar of shop-bought pizza sauce if you're pushed for time)
- 150 g selection of quality sliced meats from the deli counter
- 250 g provolone cheese, sliced
- 20 g (¼ cup) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Basil leaves to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 230° C (450° F - gas 8) using a pizza stone if possible
- Divide your pizza dough into two balls and roll out into two 20 cm (8") rounds
- Spread one half of the base with the spicy tomato sauce
- Layer the provolone cheese and the sliced meats, sprinkling with Parmesan cheese
- Fold the pizza over so it creates a semi-circle and seal the edge by crimping rolling over, starting from one corner. A short how-to guide is here.
- Brush the seal and the surface with olive oil
- Cut 3 small slits in the top to allow steam to escape
- Dust the pizza stone with cornmeal
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Remove and let the pizzas rest for 5 miutes
I love en egg inside a calzone pizza, but often find that it often does not cook properly, so a neat cheat is to poach the egg in water beforehand. I'm sure no self-respecting pizza chef would do that but it works for me!