Mitmita (or mit'mitma) is a very spicy powdered seasoning used in the Cuisine of Ethiopia. It is orange-red in colour and can contain ground African birdseye chili peppers, cardamom seeds, cloves, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, ginger powder and salt. It is used to season the raw beef dish kitfo and may also be sprinkled on ful medames and fava beans. I have search many, many cookbooks for a definitive mitmitma recipe, without much success. The two recipes below are the closest to the average find.
- A small handful of dried bird's eye chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Dry roast the chilies and mustard seeds, taking care they don't pop everywhere.
- Leave to cool
- Grind to a fine powder in a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle
- Store in an airtight container
Alternative mit'mita recipe
- 10 lb fresh bird's eye chillies
- or 2lb dried bird's eye chillies
- 2 tablespoons of clove buds
- 1/4 cup of brown cardamom seeds, shelled
- 1 cup salt