Mattar paneer - Indian cheesey peas.
This recipe gives you the option to make your own authentic paneer too if you wish.
For making yor own paneer
- 250 g (1/2 lb) cubed paneer or pressed cottage cheese (queso blanco)
- Ghee (start from point 7 in the method with the latter ingredients)
- Sterilise all equipment
Making your own paneer
- Boil the milk, twice, leaving it to cool for 10 minutes in between boils, stirring well to prevent burning.
- Squeeze in lemon juice to split the milk.
- Cover a separate pan with a muslin cloth or a clean tea-towel and pour the milk through it to separate the curds and whey.
- Reserve the whey, as it's useful to cook rice in.
- Hang the curds in the cloth for a whole day to allow the remaining whey to drip out.
- After this time, place the curds in the cloth under a weight to flatten into a cake.
- Cut the paneer into cubes and fry in hot ghee until coloured a little, and place on one side
- 450 g (1 lb) peas
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 2.5 cm (1") piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- Sea salt to taste
Peas and spices
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a pan or wok and fry the ginger and onions for 4 minutes
- Add all of the spices and salt and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the peas, a few tablespoons of water and cook the peas until done and a little spicy gray is left
- Add the paneer cubes and boil for 5 minutes
Serve hot with chappatis