- 1kg leg or shoulder of lamb, trimmed of excess fat and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons Belazu olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- a good pinch of chilli powder or teaspoons Belazu Rose Harissa (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon saffron powder
- 500g shelled peas
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 Belazu preserved lemon or more, cut into pieces
- a dozen green olives
- Put the meat in a large pot with the oil, onion, salt and pepper, ginger and saffron.
- Cover with water and cook, covered, for 1-1½ hours until the meat is very tender, adding water to keep it covered in its sauce.
- Add the peas, tomatoes, preserved lemon and olives and cook uncovered a few minutes longer, until the peas are tender and the sauce reduced. Serve.
(Tamarind & Saffron by Claudia Roden)
This recipe originated from the recipe section of Belazu.com